Monday, November 24, 2008

Thankful

Since it is so close to Thanksgiving, I've found myself really reflecting on what I'm thankful for. It is quite a bit different that what I was thankful for just one short year ago. It makes me sad to realize how screwed up my priorities were and I'm sad that I didn't know what was to come and that I missed out on some really important things.
Last year at this time I was being busy going to tax school and dreading the holiday season. I am not a "holiday" person. I just wanted a day off and time to wind down. To be honest, I can't even remeber spending time with my family or my husband's family, even though I know we went to both places for dinner. What I DO remember is how irritated I was with all the running around and all the chaos.
This year, just 9 1/2 months after my husband died, I am truly thankful for my friends and family, and for all they have done to support me this year. I'm thankful that I have things to be thankful for because 9 1/2 months ago I couldn't begin to wrap my head around what was going on. I'm thankful that the experience has changed me.
So, as a personal "shout out" to my friends and family, THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart for all you have done. Maybe you stayed up late to talk on the phone with me, or delivered firewood or stopped and cleaned my house, or invited me to dinner, or just held my hand and let me cry, or helped me sort through stuff. Maybe you offered advice, or maybe you stood back and let me figure it out on my own. Please know that I am truly thankful for all of it, and I appreciate every single kind gesture.

What are you most thankful for?

No comments: