Thursday, November 20, 2008

Grace

I always say that I'm not named Grace for a reason. I tend to be quite accident prone, hence the broken finger. I trip over things all the time. I'm really good at burns and cuts, too. Then there was the time I fell on the steps while cooking Easter dinner for my whole family, and burned my arm later the same day, but that is another story. Today, that isn't the kind of grace I'm talking about.
The Merriam Webster lists this as the definition of grace: a: unmerited divine assistance given humans for their regeneration or sanctification b: a virtue coming from God c: a state of sanctification enjoyed through divine grace2 a d: disposition to or an act or instance of kindness, courtesy, or clemency.
I try not to discuss my own personal views on religion and I don't want anyone to be offended by today's post.
My sister L. is a person who prays and many times I have asked her to pray for me. What I find intersting is that she always asks God to give me the grace that I need to deal with whatever problem it is at the time. And somehow, it always works.
The first thing this morning I found myself asking God for grace. Before I had even finished my coffee my patience was tried and tested to it's limit. I was irritated, I was mad and I felt used. I bitched and complained about it for a minute (OK, more like 15) and then I realized it wasn't doing a darn bit of good. So, I asked God for grace. Ask me later how it's going.
The words to this hymn are posted on my wall and I keep reading them:
Let me be a little kinder, let me be a little blinder
To the faults of those around me. Let me praise a little more.
Let me be when I am weary, just a little more cheery.
Think a little more of others, and a little less of me.
Let me be alittle braver, when temptation bids me waver
Let me strive alittle harder to be all that I should be.
Let me be a little meeker with a brother who is weaker
Let me thik more of my neighbor and a little less of me.
Maybe between the praying and the reading I'll be able to let it go and be a graceful person. Either that or I won't have any accidents today.
How do you handle trying situations?

No comments: