Saturday, November 22, 2008

Remembering Gram

My dad did something today that he has never done before and it scared me and made me upset. At 7:30 this morning he called me and was crying. The man who has held me and loved me through every terrible thing in my life was crying. He informed me that his mother, my Grammy, had died about 30 minutes before.
She had been in a nursing home for a while because she had severe dementia, but it wasn’t Alzheimers. She couldn’t remember who any of her own children were and she didn’t understand where she was. She lives 3 h?rs away so I didn’t get to see her much. The last time I saw her was in April, right after her 92 birthday. She didn’t recognize me but when I was leaving, I sat on her bed and hugged her and she didn’t want to let go of me. It felt good and in my own mind, I believe that she had a brief flash of light in her confused mind and knew that I was her grandchild.
My Grammy was a knitter and she used to make the most beautiful baby clothes. She even knitted clothes for my dolls. When her house had to be sold, I asked for her knitting needles. They are in a box in my craft room. There is even a swatch left on one of the needles where she was trying to gauge the knit, or whatever you call it. I can’t knit but every time I see them or hold them in my hand I think of her with fondness.
I will miss my Gram terribly but I know that she was tired and ready to go. Go hug your grandma today, and while you’re at it, tell your Dad he’s great.
What memory do you have of your Gram ?

1 comment:

Diana said...

FlourGirl, I am so sorry to hear your Grandma has passed away. Please accept my sympathy. My grandmother might have had the same thing. They called hers hardening of the arteries. She also didn't know any of her own children and was in a nursing home for several years before she finally did pass on. It is such a shame for them to have to still be here but not really. Like you said, it was time... Still hard and sad for those they leave behind. My grandma was a fiesty strong woman. Lots of love & care. Always taking care of someone. I too have very fond memories of her. Hugs!