Friday, November 14, 2008

Go Read a Book!

"Go Read a Book!" is what my mother used to tell me when I said there was nothing to do. That is what started my lifelong love of books and reading. I read EVERYTHING...from newspapers to cereal boxes to trashy romance books to non fiction historical books. I even read books I don't like because I have a wierd compulsion to finish a book to the very end. I read because I need something to distract me from the every day minutae of life. I read for entertainment. I read to gain knowledge. I read just to read.
When people ask what my favorite book is, I can't answer. I've read too many books to have a favorite. However, there are books that I will read over and over and over. Anything by Julie Garwood, The Bridges of Madison County, The Second Coming of Lucy Hatch, Bad Girl Creek and Dancing at the Harvest moon are just a few that fit into that category. Oh! The Places You'll Go! by Dr. Seuss is another one. I read it every 4 or 5 months.
When my husband died, I learned that you really learn who your friends are and who really knows you. My dear friend N. really knows me. I love her! She brought a goody bag to the calling hours and in it was Twizzlers and a book. (I'm allergic to chocolate so Twizzlers is one of my favorite candies) The book was called Sisters. Its about the experiences of a family of 4 sisters after their mother is killed and one sister is blinded in a car wreck. It was a perfect gift and I really appreciated the thought she put into it. Recently, my own sister C. told me she had just read the best book. Guess what it was? Yep, Sisters.
Right now I am reading The Carrot Cake Murder. It's a Hanna Swenson mystery by Joanne Fluke. I like her books because they are full of yummy recipes.
Do you read?
Do you have a favorite book?

No comments: