Wednesday, December 31, 2008

What I learned this year

My life is strange and chaotic all the time but this has been a very strange and chaotic year for me. There has been so much happen to me that I can't even begin to list it here but each and every event, whether it was good or bad, has been a blessing and a learning experience. I thought I'd share some of the life lessons I got this year. some are serious, some aren't.
1. Let the people you love know everyday how important they are to you because you never know when you might not get that chance again, and you will forever regret all of the things you should have said. (I'm sorry, Mark)
2. When tragedy strikes, you really learn who your friends are and who really knows you, and who doesn't. (Thanks Nanc.)
3. Life sucks and it isn't fair. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst and hope it comes out even.
4. Never put your pjs on to drive home after a race at 1:30 am and say "no one's going to see me anyway" because it's no fun to stand along side the interstate wearing your striped pajamas waiting for the Highway Patrol to get there because you crashed headfirst into the guardrail at 2 in the morning on Memorial Day. **and the officer will not believe that you haven't been drinking BECAUSE you are wearing pajamas*** (Cris and Bill, you were right, I should have stayed)
5. I am stronger than I think. There were times when I was sure that I couldn't survive one more minute, and there were times that I actually prayed for death, but those times passed and I am all the better for it. (Thanks Sandy)
6. I am not as strong as I think I am. There were times when I thought I could handle anything and all it took was one small thing to topple the house of cards. (thanks again Sandy)
7. Never underestimate the cleverness and determination of your pets. They will always surprise you. (Buddy, why do you get the ramen noodles?)
8. When the internet tells you that a trip is going to take 12 hours to drive and you think it will really only take 10 because you drive like the devil is chasing you, it will really take 15 or 16 hours to get there because the universe conspires against you. (Branson, MO- nuff said)
9. Always read the alcohol content on a bottle of wine you've never had before, especially if you have to work the next day. Trust me on this one, it will save you a terrible hangover. (Thanks, bottle of Terra White and your 13% alcohol content)
10. You can't make sense out of everything. Some things don't have a set of instructions, or someone to tell you how to handle it. You just have to wing it and find your own way to get through it.(thanks Weesa)
11. The people who work at the house depot place don't belive a woman can purchase a riding lawn mower by herself. I showed them, didn't I?
12. Cigarettes, coffee and alcohol is a very BAD diet. (thanks Maxwell House, Camel lights and Cafe Zinfandel)
13. Don't assume that you know what is best for you. You aren't always right. (I admit, I'm not always right)
14. You don't always have to be strong and capable. Sometimes you need to be vulnerable and let someone take care of you. (thanks Shawn)
15. Something that seems like a very simple act is actually one of the kindest, most caring things that someone can do for you. (thanks for feeding me macaroni and cheese.)
16. When you wake up in the morning after consuming copious amounts of Ketel One & Grey Goose and you think you feel fine, you don't. Really, you don't Go back to bed and sleep for at least 6 more hours. AND, being near any kind of breakfast food the same morning is a VERY. BAD. IDEA. (thanks everyone at the hotel bar in Cleveland. I hope you felt as bad as I did the next day)

AND FINALLY, # 17

Always, undeniably, LOVE WINS (thanks Pastor Ryan and all my friends and family)

I hope you have a safe and happy new year and that life brings you many valuable lessons in 2009.

2 comments:

chocolatechic said...

Happy New Year to you too.

May God richly bless you.

hugs...me

Diana said...

Holy Crap on it taking so long to get to Branson!!!

I really like your thought process here ~ Life "is what it is" and we are to learn from it and go on...