Tuesday, December 2, 2008

I've Got the Music IN me!

I love music of all kids. Rap, Hip Hop, Jazz, Country, Heavy Metal, Alternative, Gospel, Bluegrass, Classical...all of it. I even have song lyrics tattooed on my back. (Under the Bridge by RHCP) I suppose it started when I was in high school and dated a DJ. I was over the moon about Angus Young and was probably the only person in my tiny little high school who knew who Yngwie Malmsteen was. Other girls could have the athletic quarter backs or the preppy pretty boys but as for me and my house, my weakness was a guitar playing bad boy who drove a fast car with a big engine.
My taste in music has changed as I've gotten older, but only a little. Just a year and a half ago I attended a Styx/Def Leppard concert and I still like to listen to Skid Row. Country music never crossed my woofers and tweeters but now I like to watch CMT in the mornings before I go to work and can I even say enough about Roll With Me by Montgomery Gentry? I'll even admit that it was the words in a Sugarland song that made me change my mind about dating my Sweetie. (Never waste another day wondering what you threw away...Don't Want To)
I have an eclectic mix of CDs in my car right now. The ones I listen to the most are
Bob Marley's Legend and something from John "Cougar" Mellencamp and any one of the 3 Sugarland CDs I own. But right now, on this cold snowy day in Ohio, I am thoroughly enjoying my latest music purchase. It is James Taylor at Christmas. If you like your traditional Christmas Carols kicked up a notch, and blended with some smooth easy jazzy music, this is the CD for you. It even has River on it, which not a lot of holiday CDs have. Natalie Cole sings Baby Its Cold Outside with Sweet Baby james and I have to say, it's probably my all time favorite version of that song. It's stuck in my head this very minute.
But the whole reason I bought this CD is because it has The Christmas Song on it and that is my all time very favorite-ist Christmas song ever (even though I much prefer the Nat King Cole version better) My favorite lyric in the whole song is this:
And so I'm offering this simple phrase
To kids from 1 to 92
Although its been said many times, many ways
Merry Christmas to you
What kind of music do you listen to?
What is your favorite Christmas (or winter time) song?

No comments: