Friday, January 2, 2009

You say you want a Resolution...

It's the new year and everyone and their brother is making resolutions. I think that resolutions are less about reaching a goal and more about changing yourself, so I always make strange resolutions...never "I'm going to lose 10 lbs." or "I'm going to be more organized". I think about ONE thing about me that I really want or need to change, and I give it a go. My resolution last year was to obey the speed limit. (It worked for about a month.) One year it was to be nicer to my sisters. (I was) another year it was to keep my check book balanced all the time. (I was good about 80% of the time)

So, I've been thinking about what I want to change. There are a lot. I want to be a more patient person.(you can stop laughing now) I want to be more tolerant. I want to be more appreciative of the little things. I want to learn how to let go of stressful things. I want to learn how to actually live my life, not just fill my time with busy work. I want to find out who I REALLY am, and what I REALLY like. Some are going to take more work than others. Some things I will be successful. Some things I will fail miserably. That's OK. What I'm truly hoping for is that the process...the being aware of it, making a concerted effort, recognizing it...will make me a better person and that the people who love me will see it.

But, on the smaller scale, I've decided to try and stop using a particular swearing phrase. Not so successful so far, but I'm working on it. I've got 363 days to get it.

What are you hoping for in 2009?

2 comments:

chocolatechic said...

I don't make resolutions...or goals.

I'm a slacker.

Diana said...

Great goals Amy!! I like the "goal" idea better than the resolution idea...

My 2009 goal is to be there for Alex...