Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Happiness

Have you ever had a life changing moment? Something that continued to affect you years after it had happened? Something that made you re evaluate who you are, or what you do, or what you want out of life? I've had several, but I'm focusing on just one for today.
I remember a few, (ok, several- like nine) years ago just after I was divorced and was living with my cousin/BFF and her children that someone asked me "what makes you happy?" and I couldn't answer that question. It made me sad to realize that I was such a hot mess that I couldn't even define my own version of "happiness" I went home and cried about it and decided that I would indeed, one day be able to answer that question clearly, with out hesitation.

So, here I am, a few (ok, nine) years later and I'm still trying to figure it out. Some days I can tell you immediately what makes me happy. Some days it changes hourly. Some days, nothing on this good green earth makes me happy. I'm a work in progress. I can tell you this, I know that there are certain things that will make me happy no matter what kind of day I'm having or what my current mental state is. A hug from any one of my children, nieces or nephews is a sure fire happiness maker. I know that it's not usually big, giant things that make me happy, but rather, small, everyday kinds of things, like a text message from my son just saying hi, putting on my pajamas at the end of a long day, or someone telling me that I look nice or when my sweetie kisses my forehead. What makes me the happiest isn't something for "ME" at all, but seeing my friends and family members happy. THAT is the good stuff.

More importantly, I have learned what DOES NOT make me happy, and how to stay away from it. Things like that suck the life out of you and make you a bitter person.

What has someone asked you that made you re-evaluate yourself and has your answer stayed the same over the years?

No comments: