Monday, February 9, 2009

My beautiful, thin, fun friend Diana often posts song lyrics on her blog
(
http://diana-mm.blogspot.com/) and last week she had Everyone’s Free to wear Sunscreen by Baz Luhrman. Personally, I think this is a wonderful bit of wisdom. If you’ve never heard/read it before, check out her blog.
I was in a strange emotional place when I read this and it got me to thinkin’. (Why, yes, I DO speak hillbilly. Thanks for asking) I have lived a thousand lives in my lifetime and have been through more than most people can ever even imagine, and I have learned from it and it has changed me. If I could offer up for the whole internet to read bits of indispensable wisdom that I have learned in my 37 and a half year journey, what would I say? (I know, I had a similar post a month ago. I’m doing it again. Sorry. I warned you that I was in a strange emotional place.) So, this is what I would say:


Have at least one friend that you know you can count on for anything, at anytime. If you’re lucky, you’ll have two.
Have at least one close friend of the opposite sex.
Don’t waste your time or someone else’s. Be efficient.
Sometimes, doing nothing is what you need to be doing.
Never underestimate the power of great sex.
If you find something you enjoy, ENJOY IT!
When you do something, do it all the way.
Dance every chance you get, even if it is in your very own kitchen.
Visit New York City at least once.
Have a pet, and make them part of your family.
Accept compliments and criticisms graciously.
Sometimes you need to argue with your significant other, just so you can make up.
Buy yourself expensive lingerie and wear it.
Don’t be afraid to try something new.
Things that keep you awake worrying at 3 am won’t be changed by the worrying or the lack of sleep.
Never try to change someone else. You won’t have the time or the energy to do it and they won’t change anyway.
Look at every opportunity – good or bad- as a unique possibility to learn something.
Be goofy every once in a while.
Things that can’t be bought with money are PRICELESS.
Take what you do seriously but never take yourself seriously. It makes you old.
Things have a way of working themselves out. Let them.
Trust that you are where you need to be.
Laugh out loud in public.
Learn how to ASK for help, and how to ACCEPT it.
Say no, and mean it.
Celebrate the small things and make ordinary things special
Make memories every chance you get because some day they are all you will have.
Write REAL letters, with paper and an envelope, or send someone a card in the mail.
Hug children with both arms and don’t be the first person to let go.
Listen with your eyes and your ears.
Learn how to balance your checkbook, change a tire, install a light fixture, unclog a drain and cook at least one fantastic meal.
At least once in your life, spend $100 on a meal and don’t feel bad about it.
Never ever feel bad for eating birthday cake, especially if it is your own.
Have a porch swing and sit in it often.
Take bubble baths.
And finally….LOVE.

No comments: