Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Pie, Pie, me oh my I love pie.

Have you seen the movie Michael, where Andie MacDowell sings a song she wrote about pie?
I love pie. Tender flaky crust wrapped around a sweet fruity or creamy filling Lawsy Get In My Mouth! I can't hardly stand it. I've never met a pie I don't like, (except for maybe humble pie and the pie I tasted at a baking contest 3 yrs ago that was so bad I actually spit it out.)


I love pie so much that I can't even pick a favorite, although Coconut Cream, Lemon Meringue and Pumpkin are very high on the list and if there is a from scratch black raspberry pie in the vicinity, bar the door Katie.


I almost had a wedding pies instead of a wedding cake when I was married the first time. (Apple and Pumpkin, it was Fall)


One of my favorite quotes is "Pie and Coffee is the third most impotant intersection a man can have with a woman" I don't know who said it but I like it.

I once received a very sincere proposal of marriage over a particularly delicious pecan pie that I made. (He moved on...I'll keep the pie, thanks.)

Anyway, back to the reason I am writing this post. I have a 20 lb. bag of apples in my kitchen and it is destined to become apple pies. So, I thought I would share my favorite recipe for the said Apple Pie. It originally came from my beloved Aunt Pat who, by the way, made the wedding cake that won out over wedding pie, loves coconut pie like I do AND makes a Custard Pie that I dream about. But I digress.


Aunt Pat's Apple Pie

You need crust for a double crust pie *see my note*

6 apples, more or less, how ever many it takes to fill your pie dish

1/3 cup applesauce

1/3 cup brown sugar

1/3 cup quick cooking tapioca


Make your crust however you like to make it. Put one crust into the bottom of a pie plate. Set aside. Peel and slice your apples. Put the slices into a bowl and add the apple sauce, sugar and tapoica. Mix together. dump into the pie crust.
Cover it all up with the other crust you already rolled out with your favorite rolling pin.
Pinch the edges together to make it pretty. Bake in a 350 overn for about a half an hour
or until the apple slices are cooked. I just stick the tip of a steak knife in the top of the
pie to see if its done.

*Note about Pie Crust*

Although I love to cook and bake it took me years to learn how to make really good pie crust. I've watched my mom make pies for years and her method, or her recipe, just didn't stick. So, finally my sister C taught me a few tips and tricks and I've been doing it that way ever since. I'm sorry, but I can't give you a recipe. I make pie crust by feel. However, I will tell you that Crisco shortening is a must, and if you add water it must be icy cold. My mother says Gold Medal Four is the best but I use what ever is on sale. If you simply can't master the art of making pie crust, store bought is fine. I know, I hear some people gasping, BUT Marie Callendar's pie crust that is found in the freezer section of the grocery store is THE. BEST. store bought pie crust I have ever eaten in my life, and I've eaten a lot of pie crust. It rivals home made and I admit, I've cheated and passed it off as my own. And, it comes in a handy dandy little metal pie pan, not one of those flimsy aluminum jobbies.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love pie... I think I've got you beat on the yearning and lust for pie.... my current favorite is I love pie