Tuesday, May 12, 2009

It's the most Wonderful time of the Year

Grilling and BBQ season! Woo Hoo? My motto is: "If it ain't smoked it could be better". Thank you Lord Jesus, for greasy hickory smoked pork but and St. Llouis Style ribs. Amen.
I have been on the hunt for a new propane grill. I know there is a lot of debate about propae or charcoal, but for me, propane is what works best, so that is what I use. Let me take a moment to pay homage to Hank Hill and his propane and propane accessories. I digress, sorry.
My grill is a 3 burner monster of a thing and it has been much loved and well used. It sits on my back porch, just outside my bedroom window, so when I smoke something my dreams are filled with the sweet smell of smoked meat. Mmmm- hmmm. Now, after 6 years, the burners are falling apart and the grates have lost thier porcelain grating and it's going to cost more to fix than to jsut buy a new one.
I want specific things in my grill and it's been difficult to find one that has everything. I want more than one burner, rotisserie capabilities, NO side burner, (waste of space!), stainless steel grill grates and I'm kind of jonesing for one of those new fangled infrared burner things but I'm willing to compromise. When I find just the right one, it will be a momentous occasion, to be celebrated properly. I'll keep you updated on my search. I'm open for suggetions or recommendations, so fire away!
This is one of my favorite sauces. I like it best on pork but it's awesome on chicken too. Try it and let me know what you think. If you're into grilled vegetables, go to The Food network site and look up Bobby Flay's grilled ratatouille recipe. Yum-o.

Chinese BBQ Sauce
1 c ketchup
3 ½ Tbs soy sauce
1 T liquid smoke (i don't use this)
¾ c brown sugar (i prefer dark brown sugar)
1 Tbs ground ginger (i use freshly grated)
3 cloves garlic, minced

In a med. sized sauce pan bring all ingredients to a low simmer. Stir often and cook until sugar is dissolved. Sauce is done when it become thick. Brush on chicken or ribs. Also good as a marinade.

What kind of grill do you have and what is your favorite thing to cook on it?

No comments: